Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thank You, Baker, Donelson

This piece was originally submitted to The Tennessean some days ago.  As it does not appear to have been published, I thought I would resort to self help.

Back at the end of May, I was laid off from my job in the Nashville office of the Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz law firm.  Given the economy, I could not question the decision, although it was a painful one.  It meant much struggle and uncertainty for my family, and leaving an office, and a team, I truly enjoyed.

But all was not gloom and doom.  Management of the Nashville office agreed to a severance package that would cover my insurance premiums at least through the summer.  It was a prescient decision; on August 31 I had multiple bypass surgery.  But for the generosity of the Baker partners - extended at a time when many of them were taking it in the shorts - to use a legal term of art - I might not have had the surgery, or would have emerged from it with a crushing debt. 

In an age in which "management" is routinely attacked for abusing and discarding staff, I believe Baker's decision deserves public recognition.  Needless to say, I am personally thankful for it.

Tom Hall
Racine, Wisconsin

No comments:

Post a Comment